This post may contain affiliate links.
Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters is an African Cinderella story that fans of the traditional story will love. Compare and contrast the stories with a free book companion.
This printable book companion is the perfect resource to add to your study of the story of Cinderella with your students.
These worksheets are engaging and educational, and they’re designed to help your students dig deeper into the story.
We all know the classic story of Cinderella. A girl is being raised by her evil stepmother when the prince hosts a ball to find a wife. The stepmother piles on the work so that Cinderella can’t attend the ball. When her fairy godmother intervenes, Cinderella’s dreams come true.
Did you know that there are a lot of different Cinderella stories from around the world? Introduce your kids to one or more and have them compare/contrast the stories.
African Cinderella Story
These print-and-go worksheets are designed to be used with Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters, an African Cinderella story.
In addition to the worksheets included in this pack, you can incorporate videos and hands-on activities within your unit study.
What is the African Cinderella Story
This story tells of Mufaro, who is proud of his two beautiful daughters. Nyasha is kind and considerate, but everyone—except Mufaro—knows that Manyara is selfish and bad-tempered.
When the Great King decides to take a wife and invites the most worthy and beautiful daughters in the land to appear before him, Mufaro brings both of his daughters—but only one can be queen. Who will the king choose?
Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters Activities
These print-and-go Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters printables are perfect for early elementary grade students. They’ll love digging into the story with these activities and graphic organizers.
In addition to the worksheets, you can incorporate videos and hands-on activities within your unit study.
Language Arts Activities
• Fact vs. Fiction – Discuss the difference between fact and fiction. What parts of this story could be fact? What’s fiction?
• Vocabulary – Your student will likely encounter a new vocabulary word or two. Have them look up those words in a dictionary and then use it in a sentence of their own to demonstrate comprehension.
• Flora and Fauna – There are several plants and animals mentioned in the story. Have your child research one or more.
• Snakes – A snake is featured in the story. Have your child research snakes and report on what they’ve learned.
• Africa/Zimbabwe – This story takes place in Zimbabwe, a country in Africa. Have your child research the are and report on what they’ve learned.
Mufaro’s beautiful daughters book companion
This seventeen-page mini book companion is designed to help your students dive deeper into the book. In this pack, you’ll find the following activities:
• Graphic Organizers – There are a few graphic organizers included in this book companion. There is one for discussing story elements (characters, setting, and events), sequencing, summarizing the story, and retelling the main events. Pick and choose the ones you need for your lessons.
• Writing Prompt – What does beauty mean to you? What do you consider beautiful in the world around you?
• Before and After – Children will describe the sisters at the beginning of the story and again at the end.
• Zimbabwe – This writing paper is designed for kids to record what they learn about Zimbabwe.
• Adjectives and Verbs – Children will list adjectives and verbs to describe how the sisters act and how they behave.
• Venn diagrams – Kids will compare and contrast Manyara/Nyasha, Africa/your child’s country, Cinderella/Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters.
Below, I’ve featured just a handful of Cinderella stories that will get you started on your search for books to use with these printables.
You should be able to find them at your local library or bookstore. If you can’t find them locally, you can click each image cover to purchase them on Amazon.
Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China – Half-starved and overworked by her stepmother, Yeh-Shen’s only friend is a fish with golden eyes. When the stepmother kills the fish for dinner, poor Yeh-Shen is left with only the bones. But the bones are filled with a powerful spirit. When Ye-Shen is forbidden to attend the annual spring Festival, the spirit grants her a gown of azure blue and delicate golden slippers. That night, everyone marvels at the beautiful, mysterious young woman at the ball.
Adelita: A Mexican Cinderella Story – Hace mucho tiempo—a long time ago—there lived a beautiful young woman named Adelita. So begins the age-old tale of a kind-hearted young woman, her jealous stepmother, two hateful stepsisters, and a young man in search of a wife. The young man, Javier, falls madly in love with beautiful Adelita, but she disappears from his fiesta at midnight, leaving him with only one clue to her hidden identity: a beautiful rebozo—shawl.
Cinderella Stories Around the World – Think there’s just one fairy tale with an overworked girl and wicked stepsisters? Think again! Cultures all around the world have their own Cinderella stories. Visit Canada, China, Egypt, and France, and find out whose glass slippers are made of red silk, and whose fairy godmother is a fish.
DOWNLOAD YOUR PRINTABLES
This Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters printable pack is only available to my readers. Click the button below, enter your information, and download your printables.
Leave a Reply