This post may contain affiliate links.
This book companion is full of activities to use with The Enormous Turnip. They are lots of fun and will keep your students engaged in extending the lesson.
Extend the story by digging deeper with the following activities:
- Character cards – perfect for retelling the story or for sequencing practice
- Story analysis – identify characters, setting, and events
- Story sequence – describe the beginning, middle, and end of the story
- Main events – draw and write two events from the story
- Favorite character – draw and describe their favorite character
- Favorite part of the story – draw and describe their favorite part of the story
- Setting – draw and describe the setting of the story
- Comprehension questions – read the question and color the correct answer
- Turnips – fill in the boxes with information about turnips
- Synonyms for enormous – write synonyms in each food shape
- Tt is for turnip – identify and label images that begin with Tt
- Venn diagram – compare and contrast two versions of The Enormous Turnip and two root vegetables
- Troll bridge – answer the writing prompt question
- ABC order – put words from the story in alphabetical order
- -an, -at, and -og words – build words that end with -an, -at, and -og
- Parts of speech – sort nouns, verbs, and adjectives
- Antonyms and synonyms – write antonyms and synonyms for various words
- Ordinal numbers – identify the order the characters appear in the story
- Sequence cards – put the sequence cards in order to retell the story
- Writing prompt – write about a time team work helped accomplish a task
- and more!