This post may contain affiliate links.
This The Gingerbread Man Loose on the Fire Truck printable is easy to use and is designed to pair with this popular story by Laura Murray.
Download a copy of this literature packet that is meant to make learning fun and engaging for students without adding extra work for teachers.
You can add this fun story to your lessons during October for Fire Safety Month or during December as part of your gingerbread theme.
The Gingerbread Man Loose on the Fire Truck by Laura Murray is a fun picture book that’s perfect for kids ages 5-8. Kids will love how the book is formatted like their favorite graphic novels.
Guess who gets to go along on a field trip to the firehouse? The Gingerbread Man! But when he falls out of his classmate’s pocket, Spot the Dalmatian comes sniffing around. Luckily, this Gingerbread Man is one smart cookie, and he races into the fire truck, up the pole, and all through the station, staying one step ahead of the hungry dog the whole time.
If you don’t have a copy of The Gingerbread Man Loose on the Fire Truck on hand, you can show the video below to your kids before moving onto the activities.
The Gingerbread Man Loose on the Fire Truck
These print-and-go The Gingerbread Man Loose on the Fire Truck printables are perfect for early elementary grade students. They’ll love digging into the story with these activities.
Language Arts Activities
• Fact vs. Fiction – Discuss the difference between fact and fiction. Gingerbread cookies are real, but they can’t talk or walk in real life. Can your kids compare real gingerbread man cookies and the one shown in the book?
• Compound words – Do your students know what compound words are? They are words formed by joining two smaller words into one large word. This story is full of them… fireman, gingerbread, flashlight, and more.
Social Studies Activities
Fire prevention – October is Fire Prevention Month. Teach students about fire safety, what to do in case of a fire, and what to do when the firemen arrive.
Community helpers – Firefighters are community helpers. Talk about firefighters and their equipment. Take a trip to the fire station, if possible.
Just for Fun
These free firefighter math worksheets will provide an opportunity to practice counting, identifying shapes, and more
These free fire safety printables are a great way to teach children about fire trucks and fire safety rules.
FIRE SAFETY MOVIES FOR KIDS
I love to incorporate movies and videos into our unit studies whenever possible. They’re perfect for sick days or rainy days. Here are a few ideas for kids:
BOOKS ABOUT FIRE SAFETY
In addition to movies, I love to include a wide variety of books in my lessons. I use some for read-alouds and save others for independent reading (when appropriate).
Below, I’m sharing a few of my favorite nonfiction books about fire safety. I find they’re perfect for introducing fire safety rules, increasing vocabulary, and illustrating important information.
the gingerbread man loose on the fire truck BOOK COMPANION
This eight-page mini book companion is designed to help your students dive deeper into the book. In this pack, you’ll find the following activities:
- Comprehension check: Use the color code to identify true and false statements from the story.
- Sequencing: Write what happens at the beginning, middle, and end of the story.
- Rhyming words: Read sets of words and identify the two that rhyme.
- Parts of speech: Use the color code to identify verbs and nouns.
- Word search: Search for twenty words from the story in the word search grid.
- Coloring page: Use imagination to color the gingerbread.
- ABC order: Order eight words from the story in alphabetical order.
- Compound words: Match to words to create a compound word and write it on the line.
ROUND OUT YOUR UNIT WITH THESE ACTIVITIES
These cute fireman personalized puzzles are adorable puzzles for any child. These name puzzles are personalized with any name you like.
Here come the firefighters! Let your child be the hero in their own imaginations as they fight fires and create unlimited play dough creations with this fun firefighter themed playdough kit.
DOWNLOAD YOUR PRINTABLES
This book companion is only available to my readers. Click the button below, enter your information, and download your printables.